Thursday 5 June 2014

Science Behind Glow Sticks.

What I think now (before we start)
The glow sticks have chemicals inside that light up when snapped.

What I think now (after hearing others’ ideas)
There is a glass canister inside that when you snap the glow stick it releases a chemical that lights up the liquid inside the glow stick.

What I think now (after seeing Miss C cut open the tube)
The same as What I think now (after hearing others' ideas)

What I think now (after researching)
In the glow sticks plastic casing there is phenyl oxalate ester and fluorescent dye solution. In the fragile glass vial on the inside there is a hydrogen peroxide solution. When you snap a glow stick, the glass vile breaks and the phenyl oxalate ester and fluorescent dye solution mixes with the hydrogen peroxide solution and emits a glow!

Synthesis is
A process from prior knowledge to new knowledge.

No comments:

Post a Comment